Monday, April 24, 2006

Welcome Home Pat!

I have just come from Pat Farnham's memorial service. It was such a blessing to see how many people one life can impact! I've only known her for less than a year, and I am so thankful that the Lord had put her in my life for that brief time. She was just a genuine person who reached out to anyone and everyone! Today was a bit rough trying to get through the day without dissolving into tears. I walked through the foyer mid-day and found pictures of her set up for this evening's service. I merely glanced and tears came flowing out of my eyes. God was good and allowed me to get through the rest of the day without breaking down in front of my students.

Tonight during the service, each grandchild wrote a note that was read. Her grandson, Tyler, who is a student in my class, is a very good writer. When his letter was read, I lost it and dissolved into tears. My 8-year-old nephew who was sitting next to me, starting to rub my back to make sure I was OK. It is such a bitter-sweet thing to miss someone you've grown to love, and knowing now that they are in the presence of the Lord!

I was recalling this past week, the many good memories I had with Pat. She was my hairdresser for this past year, and the first time she highlighted my hair she was so nervous. Afterwards, she would come up to me at church, just to check out her own handiwork! Another memory was when I went over to her house for my Birthday. She had bought me a T-Shirt that says "Major Attitude" because she thought I gave her "attitude". Well, most of the time she egged it on herself. We definitely knew how to get each other.

The last thing I wanted to leave on tonight's post, as I know it is getting long, is the poem that was on the program:

Safely Home
I am home in Heaven, dear ones:
Oh, so happy and so bright!
There is perfect joy and beauty
In this everlasting light.
All the pain and grief is over,
Every restless tossing passed:
I am now at peace forever,
Safely home in Heaven at last.
And he came Himself to meet me
In that way so hard to tread:
And with Jesus' arm to lean on,
Could I have one doubt or dread?
Then you must not greive so sorely,
For I love you dearly still
Try to look beyond earth's shadows,
Pray to trust our Father's Will.
There is work still waiting for you,
So you must not idly stand:
Do it now, while life remaineth--
You shall rest in Jesus' land.
When that work is all completed.
He will gently call you Home:
Oh, the rapture of that meeting,
Oh, the joy to see you come!

Today was Pat's 63rd Birthday! Welcome Home Pat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sharon! Thank you so much for this post- it's beautiful. That poem is so perfect. How wonderful to know she's in the presence of God. Even though I couldn't go to the funeral -I was praying. My mom said it was such an encouragement. I'll continue to pray for you, her family and the many people who's life she touched.