Tuesday, March 14, 2006

fairweather or loyal


friends 045
Originally uploaded by sharjoy18.
The picture is a picture of Melanie and Melissa Thacker and myself. I went to visit Melissa over Christmas break and now I am actually getting around to posting a picture on this blog. For my friend Christina who reads both blogs, this is not a repeat of anything on our friends blog.

Fairweather or loyal?. . . As I sit here and reflect on friend relationships I have become a part of over the past year, I am a bit perplexed. I have never considered myself a fairweather friend, and others have even observed the loyalty that I have for my friends.

But now I reach a turning point. It seems that I am stuck between two groups of friends. The girls in our singles group and the guys. Each group does not seem to blend well with the other. There are people all around, but none to be considered "close" friends. My closest friends are married and mostly living in different parts of the country. So it leaves me feeling a bit alone. I sit in the midst of two groups, not feeling a part of either group.

On the one hand I know that if I put the effort into a particular friendship that I have had for years, I could probably feel apart of that group. But what is holding me back is the fakeness that has shown itself over the past couple weeks. So now I have no desire to put effort into a friendship that is a bit one sided. So does that make me a fair weather friend? Do I stick by it, knowing that I will probably never know the true heart of my friend? I have been praying hard that the Lord would give me wisdom and would break her heart down to the point where she can not cover who she truly is.

I also have been praying that the Lord would send me a friend who can sharpen me truly in the Lord that does not live across the country. HE ANSWERS PRAYER! On Sunday morning I was talking to a casual friend of mine, Kristen, and she was going through the same struggle of feeling alone in the midst of all these people. Yes, she is married, but I appreciate married women so much more because they are not so caught up in themselves as single women are (and can tend to be my downfall at times).

Psalm 121
1I look up to the mountains--does my help come from there?
2My help comes from the LORD,who made the heavens and the earth!
3He will not let you stumble and fall;the one who watches over you will not sleep.
4Indeed, he who watches over Israelnever tires and never sleeps.
5The LORD himself watches over you!The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade.
6The sun will not hurt you by day,nor the moon at night.
7The LORD keeps you from all eviland preserves your life.
8The LORD keeps watch over you as you come and go,both now and forever.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Hey Sharon-Thanks for checking out my blog! It was nice to look at yours and to catch up on what has been going on in your life! Sounds like you are busy teaching and all. Friends change as you get older, don't they? I am glad that the Lord led you to a friend who has the same "needs" as you. I remember He did that for me when I was in high school with one of my best friends Jamie...Friendships are important to the Lord as well! Take care, Kelli

Tyararr J. Jones said...

It is nice to know that God is constant. Though we may change, our friends change, our circumstances change, our environment changes, our responses change,...God and God's love for us never changes. Psalm 139:7- Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Hey, it's me! See I do read both. :-) I totally understand what you're going through. It took me quite a while before I found friends of my own here. And you know what stinks... it's all military families so eventually they leave. I love you and I'll be praying for you and your situation. You can always come live with me in Hawaii. :-)