Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Point to Ponder


thackers and me
Originally uploaded by sharjoy18.
The picture has nothing to do with the post, but I couldn't go two blogs in a row without a picture to brake it up. Plus I thought the picture was cute:o)

The point to ponder is responsibility and justification. I have been thinking about this recently because of certain events being drawn to my attention. One being a seminary student here at Calvary has "slept through" his sunday school teaching responsibility on several occasions these past couple months. I obviously think that is wrong no matter what. I understand being sick, but just sleeping through is showing a serious lack of responsibility. Growing up in a Pastor's home I was always taught to fulfill my obligations/responsibilities and make them a priority in my life. I guess I take that teaching for granted sometimes.

The question of justifying why you did not fulfill your obligation comes in the following circumstance. A roommate of the previous seminary student works in Youth group. He misses a week because he needs to study for midterms. I would have no problem missing an occasional service as long as I did not have any responsibilities. His view is that he did not see a problem with it because it is not on the same level as sleeping through his responsibilities, and he does not do it often. Which I partly agree. My point of view would be that I know I have this responsibility every week, so I need to work ahead in order to fulfill my obligation. He did point out that you can not start studying in January for March midterms, but I also think that leading your prayer group for 15 minutes at the end of Youth group does not take away that much time. His group went with a different group, but I wonder what kind of message that sent. He did explain it to his group beforehand, but when the teens want to skip because of homework what do you say to them now?

I have been thinking about it, whether I am being too "legalistic" on this issue or not. I was curious to see other people's input. Hopefully I did not bore you with too many details.

3 comments:

Tyararr J. Jones said...

The things I should not....I do. The things I should do...I do not. Having worked with kids of all ages for a while....I have learned and relearned that the message we teach and share verbally does not have as much impact as the message we portray in our actions and how we respond to circumstances and situations that arise. Okay, that was the longest run on sentence. Therefore speak softly and truthfully, but also live out what we teach and expect from those we teach. I just hope I don't have to eat my own words later. Have a great day Sharon!

Unknown said...

Cute picture. :) I don't think your thinking is legalistic here. Legalism would say this fellow has to attend church for every service in order to be on God's good side. I side with you. If you have a responsibility, be it church or work or whatever, you should fulfill it and be faithful to it. I understand missing once in a great while when there is a very valid reason but if he can't fulfill his responsibility he should pass it on to someone who can. Easier said than done of course!

Sharon said...

Tyrarr-thanks for the advice. I was just thinking through why I stood so strongly for certain things. Have a great day as well.
Alicia-thanks for your input as well. I understand what legalism is, but when challenged sometimes, I wonder if I stand too hard on certain issues.